Everyone is driven by different motivators in their careers. Many of us spend more time at work than anywhere else. When you really think about it, culture is a big component of enjoying your job. You could love what you do but the environment could be off for you. No one wants to work in an environment they are not comfortable in or don’t enjoy.
Here are a few things to think about when it comes to choosing the right culture for you.
1) Is culture important to you and what does culture mean to you?
2) What culture do you thrive best in?
3) How can you help contribute to creating a culture you enjoy?
Once you know what type of culture you enjoy and want to be a part of, you can make it an important part of your job search. Some of the ways to know if the culture is what you are looking for are as follows:
1) Research the company you are interviewing with. We can pretty much Google about anything these days to get insight on a company.
2) Ask about culture during your interviews. Interviewing can be intimidating sometimes, but you should not be afraid to ask questions. This lets the employer know you are interested in the opportunity and their company.
3) Make it a two way street! You should always let the employer know what type of culture you enjoy and what you can contribute to their company’s culture as well. Our skill sets are important and most employers are interviewing you because they can see your skill set on your resume. Make yourself standout by letting them know who you are as an individual and what you can bring to table for their culture!
These are just a few of the things to think about when it comes to company culture–it is important and it also means something different to everyone. Know what it means to you. It could be more important than you think.