Fresh out of college there were two things that I knew for certain:
- I needed a job.
- It wasn’t going to be easy.
I was joining the world of “job hunting” with countless others who are trying to find the perfect fit for their career. I had received advice from professors, former employers, family, and friends. Some of it was helpful, most of it was contradicting.
There was the “just take any job you find, you can’t afford to be picky,” advice. And those that suggested I continued to intern and work part time so that I could select a job I would be happy at long term. While that was good advice, they were also not paying my bills.
So how did I come to be a member of the Melinda Holm & Associates team? Following my own “best practices” for job hunting:
- Utilize your connections. Reach out to the people that you know that may be able to connect you with a key player in your job search. LinkedIn, Facebook, and old fashion conversation are my personal recommendations.
- Make a list of the non-negotiables and the things that you would like in a job but are willing to adjust. For me a positive work environment was a must but I could be flexible on the hours I would work. When interviewing for jobs I kept my list in mind and remembered that non-negotiables were hard limits.
- Visualize your future. Everyone has goals and dreams, when searching for a job try to picture yourself in ten years. Will this opportunity help you get to where you want to go?
- Be open to new experiences. Sometimes the perfect opportunity can be disguised.
Now that I am at Melinda Holm & Associates I know I made the right choice. I was fortunate to have great jobs throughout college that gave me experience in the professional world and helped me to realize what I was looking for in a career.
I am excited to continue to learn about marketing and recruiting from the pros at MHA while also sharing some of my knowledge.
Kaela joined Melinda Holm & Associates in September as the Social Media Coordinator and the Database Coordinator’s assistant.